Wednesday, July 14, 2010

This is my first venture into cat-blogging. I'm sure my stories aren't any more diverse or interesting than most pet owners, but it'll give me a way to honor the feline lives I've been blessed with and to acknowledge all of the humans who've helped along the way.

Today's cat is Spott. She was diagnosed with kitty breast cancer about a month ago. After radical surgery to remove the tumors, she's at home and resting. Unfortunately, the prognosis wasn't good from the start and she's not really improving. In fact, she's now lost the use of one back leg.

I've come to the realization that she's not going to get better and my role right now is to make her last days as pleasant and comfortable as I can. Running a cat hospice is a lot harder than it sounds - emotionally it's packed a whallop!

Yesterday, she drug herself outside to sit under one of her favorite bushes. She still purrs though, and sits up when I pet her. I tell myself that in her cat way, she's OK, but I know she's fading. After reading an article about a cat hospice at CSU, they mentioned pain medication as a way to ease their days. So, I called my trusty vet and got her some morphine to see if she responds a bit. Hopefully, her appetite will pick up a bit too.

When I got home tonight, I saw her sleeping in her familiar spot under the bed -with her 6-year old daughter Barclee curled up next to her. The other cats are being exceedingly nice to her. Although they're not above shoving her away to get to her food. Some things don't change!

5 comments:

  1. This is great! I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a poinant post, Cindy. You do a wonderful, wonderful thing. Please give Spott a pat for me, too. :)

    May her days be sweet, warm, and full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh........that must be so hard for you. It sounds like she is well loved though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for the kind words. This is actually helping me deal with the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete