Thursday, July 15, 2010

Morphine to Go

I figured giving a cat morphine would be a piece of cake! In fact, I envisioned that Spott would feel so good after the first dose she'd be waking me up in the morning to get another fix.

Really, how hard can it be? The vet told me to simply squeeze the morphine into the cheek pouch. No problem - just a pinch between the cheek and gum - easier than a wad of chewing tobacco. Unfortunately, I guess I forgot to tell Spott this was going to be fun and easy with a big payoff in the end.

She became a cat contortion artist as she kept slipping away. Her front paws because two fully armed weapons of destruction headed right toward my face. She also decided to go for broke and tried biting too. She's still pretty darn spunky. I'm unsure how much of the first dose actually made it into the cheek pouch.

The second attempt this morning didn't go much smoother. She was ready for me and was in the crouch and tuck position - glaring at me. If her eyes were lasers, I'd have been fried on the spot. (no pun intended Spott!)

When I got home after work, instead of finding a pleasantly stoned cat waiting for me on the cat rug, I found a glaring, angry cat cleverly hiding under the bed - just out of arm's reach. She's no dummy that's for sure. I'm thinking maybe I got the instructions wrong and the morphine is for ME!!!

2 comments:

  1. I just reread my last post and it sounds amazingly harsh & uncaring. I did not mean this is great about Spott, in fact, it's awful what she has had to go through, especially this new morphine treatment! What I meant is it is great that you are able to share stories with us about your cats. All of your cats are such unique individuals and you're writing about them gives a whole new perspective. I do look forward to reading more about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew what you meant! Not to worry!

    ReplyDelete