Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rescue Mission Part Deux


I've had a big smile on my face all week. The last several months have been dismal in my little cat world and try as I might, I hadn't been able to get over the loss of Truman and Spott.

Then 18 cats stepped in and reminded me that I do have a role in the world - a person who saves the world one cat at a time (like my Mutts shirt says.) Or like the story of the kid who would throw beached starfish back into the ocean. No, he couldn't save them all, but he said, "I made a difference for this one."

That's what I did for Spott & Truman and I'd forgotten that for awhile.

So, I was sitting in the van in Boulder hanging with 18 cats while Missie was dealing with an iPod issue. I called my trusty vet and asked what I needed to do to make sure I didn't catch ringworm and spread it to my family. She said, to wash my hands, strip, burn your clothes, the van, .... well not really, but almost. Apparently it IS very contagious and the spores can travel in clothes or fibers. And, it's notoriously hard to get rid of.

I told her that one little cat had caught my eye. She said, "DO NOT TAKE A RINGWORM CAT." In fact, she might have said it 15 times, but I was looking at Little Cat the whole time, replying, but she's sooooo cute. Dr. Randall said there are cats around every corner looking to get rescued, don't take a ringworm cat.

"Well, I heard there's a 3-legged cat," I said. She told me emphatically to take 3-legged cat, but not Ringworm Cat.

Hmmm, I'll have to ponder...

I pondered as far as Loveland where we passed the cats along to Angela. Missie and I debated taking Little Cat at that moment, but I had no way to keep her separated from the others while waiting to see if she actually had ringworm or not. So, a clearer head prevailed and I didn't take her.

That night, I had another cat dream. I knew when the right cat needed me, she would find me, just like all my cats have. Little Cat found me.

So, I emailed Angela and told her I'd take Little Cat once the threat of Ringworm was gone.

I'm sooooo happy.

You can clearly see her in the 2-toned carrier on the left! :)

2 comments: