Friday, October 29, 2010

Rescue Mission!

On Monday, I heard from my friend Lesley that the Casper Cat Rescue had sent 22 cats to the Boulder Humane Society to be adopted. But, Boulder said the cats had ringworm and they refused to take them. They would be euthanized if they weren't picked up.

Well, I thought, I could drive to Boulder and bring them as far as Cheyenne. I've wanted to do something to help other felines after losing Spott & Truman and this seemed like a perfect time to jump in. So, I offered to help.

Now I didn't really think this through. While my car is large enough to hold 2 small boys, I suddenly realized that fitting 22 cats in would be a bit tougher. So, I coerced my good (way too good I might add) friend Missie into helping.

So, Tuesday morning, directions in hand, we headed to Boulder. We found it quite easily and a friendly person even let us in. We waited for the cats to be delivered but it apparently was more of an ordeal than we thought. Before we knew it, we were in the back helping load the Ringworm Cats into carriers. Well, Missie loaded and I mostly watched. We ended up taking 18 cats and kittens back with us and they all fit neatly into her van.

It wasn't as loud as we expected, but Missie said she hadn't really counted on the smell. (I think more than one might have had a wee bit of an accident.)

Almost all of the cats were in boxes but 3 were put in actual carriers and one little cat was sitting facing us. She was a homely little thing with a very gravelly meow and a forceful personality. We were both drawn to her right away.

On the drive back, I looked back and she was sitting there, paws curled under just like she was Miss Daisy and we were the drivers.

We transferred the furry passengers to the Casper Cat Rescue person Angela. We were happy to help and I felt happy knowing that 18 little lives were spared. It does seem wrong that a supposedly "no kill" shelter would put a cat down for having ringworm. Fortunately, none of these met that fate and are all now awaiting homes in Casper. Visit Caspercatrescue.com to get more info!


2 comments:

  1. I expected to read at the end that you delivered 17 cats and Miss Homely went home with you. I'll bet not adopting one of them yourself took alot of willpower!

    ReplyDelete