Sunday, December 26, 2010

Bridgette Visits Grandma for Christmas





It's my annual Christmas trek to Buffalo to spend time with Mom and the Leis family. This year, I decided to let Bridgette tag along.

I took her home when she was a baby, but she hadn't been back since. I figured she'd spend her days hiding in the bedroom from Mom's two frisky kittens, Butch & Sundance. I was hoping they wouldn't pick on her too much since she's still not up to par. But since I have to give her meds twice a day, I figured we'd make do.

We immediately hauled her into the bedroom; set up her "necessities" and proceeded to leave, allowing her time to adjust. She adjusted by bounding out the door and heading straight for the kitchen. She explored the dining room and was off to the living room when Butch and Sundance saw her.

Contrary to what I thought would happen, they both started hissing and bolted for the basement. She just calmly sat there and looked at them, not making a sound. We didn't see them for the rest of the evening! They were cowering in the basement while Bridgette sat on the couch and hung out with the family.

The next day, they inched their way up the stairs into the kitchen, only to find Bridgette calmly sitting in their path. Eventually they worked up enough nerve to slide by her but they hissed and growled the whole way. She retaliated by stretching out across their escape path back to the safety of the basement. She closed her eyes, totally unphased by the two renegades.

By the last day, Sundance had made his peace with her and could actually be in the same room with her. Butch continued to growl and hiss, just for good measure.

On Christmas night, they all shared a Christmas dinner. Mom's other cat Francis had no problems with her cat cousin and no doubt was embarrassed by the rude behaviour of the other two.

Bridgette enjoyed her time with Grandma, getting lap time and a lot of attention. Butch and Sundance enjoyed watching her leave!


2 comments:

  1. What a great cat Bridgette is! I don't normally travel with cats (have been lucky that mine have never been sick when I had to be away so they have always just had the run of the house in my absence). So cool to see a traveling cat with such a blase attitude about it.

    Great to finally meet you, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to meet you too! I used to haul all my cats along until O'Malley made them all unwelcome by spraying my Mom's Christmas tree!! So, Bridgette's the first one to make the trek in about 5 years! I really don't think any of the others would be quite so friendly!

    ReplyDelete